2018 : Burgundy & Provence - Cruise Only Northbound (WLJ0) - Poetry II
8 Day River Cruise from Arles to St. Jean-de-Losne
Take a wondrous river cruise journey through beautiful France along the Rhone and Saone Rivers with guided sightseeing in known French treasures and also discover some hidden gems along the way!
On the Rhone River sits Arles, France-famous for inspiring the paintings of Van Gogh and its 1st-century Roman Amphitheater, which hosts plays and concerts to this day. On a guided tour of historical Avignon, see the 14th-century Palace of the Popes-the largest gothic fortress in the world. The twin cities of Tournon and Tain l'Hermitage are beautifully nestled among vineyards, and you'll go on a guided walk of Tournon, a medieval treasure with plenty of Roman ruins and a fascinating 16th-century castle. Lyon, France's gastronomic capital, sits at the junction of the Rhone and Saone Rivers and is a showcase of medieval and Renaissance architecture. Visit the popular Place des Terreaux for lively cafés and monuments and stand in front of the famous fountain you've seen on postcards. As you cruise up the Saone River to St. Jean de Losne, be sure to have your camera ready to capture the beautiful scenery and quaint villages passing by-a perfect ending to this delightful river cruise vacation!
You've always forged your own path...with your own distinct perspective of looking at the world. Avalon Waterways presents a river cruise experience with your unique style in mind-offering expansive views and wider perspectives. That's why we've used our 89 years to design a cruise experience that's just a bit different. Here are just some of the features and amenities you'll experience on board our Avalon ships.
Highlights & Sightseeing
Day 1 Arles, France (Embarkation): welcome to France; onboard welcome reception; sail into the Camargue region (daylight permitting)
Day 2 Arles: guided sightseeing, visit the Roman Amphitheater
Day 3 Avignon: guided sightseeing, visit Palace of the Popes
Day 4 Cruising-Viviers: guided walk, visit the Old Town and the cathedral
Day 5 Tournon/Tain l'Hermitage-Vienne: guided walk in Tournon; guided walk in Vienne
Day 6 Lyon: guided sightseeing; picture stop on Fourvière Hill
Day 7 Cruising-St. Jean de Losne: day at leisure; cheese tasting
Day 8 St. Jean de Losne (Disembarkation): your vacation ends this morning
Arrive in Arles, France (Embarkation)
Welcome to France! This afternoon, board your river cruise vessel which is docked in Arles, in the Provence region. Before dinner, meet your crew at a welcome reception, then sail toward the mouth of the Rhone for a taste of the tranquil vistas of Camargue National Park (daylight permitting). (Dinner)
In Arles, capital of the Provence, join your Local Guide for a GUIDED CITY TOUR. See the church of St. Trophime, dating from the 12th century, and visit the ROMAN AMPHITHEATER. Still used today, the amphitheater dates to the 1st century, and was constructed to hold over 20,000 spectators. Vincent Van Gogh was inspired by the special light of the Provence and spent a very productive year in Arles. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
On your GUIDED TOUR, you may choose to join an included visit of the PALACE OF THE POPES, built in the 14th century as the sovereign popes' residence. With a living space equivalent to four gothic cathedrals, it is the largest gothic fortress in the world. Alternatively, you may opt for only city sightseeing and more free time to explore on your own, or to join an optional outing to Pont du Gard or to the famed wine cellars of Chateauneuf-du-Pape. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
A leisurely morning on board to relax and enjoy the passing scenery. After lunch, join your LOCAL GUIDE for a walk around the charming town of Viviers, which developed around its ROMANESQUE CATHEDRAL. The OLD TOWN has an appealing mix of Christian, Roman, and medieval influences. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
The twin cities of Tournon and Tain l'Hermitage lie nestled among vineyards between the Rhone River and the granite slopes of the Hermitage. Enjoy a GUIDED WALK of Tournon, one of France's oldest medieval cities, with its imposing 16th-century castle and Roman ruins. Arriving in Vienne in the late afternoon, a GUIDED WALK shows you the charming little town surrounded by steep hills-one of the oldest towns in the region. Explore the town center to see the Roman Theater, which once held 13,000 spectators, and the Augustus and Livia Temple, built around 20 BC and converted into a church in the Middle Ages. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Lyon is France's third-largest city and its gastronomic capital. Founded by the Romans in 43 BC, the city's prosperity dates back to the 16th century and is due to commercial, industrial, and banking activities. Roman remains, many excellent museums, and much renaissance architecture delight visitors. You are joined by a LOCAL GUIDE as you survey the city from Fourvière Hill and explore the Old Town, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, with its maze of medieval alleyways and Place des Terreaux, a popular area with lively cafés, monuments, and the famous fountain often depicted on postcards. Be sure to sample Beaujolais, the wine of the region. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Cruising-St. Jean de Losne
A leisurely day today as your final day on board. If you prefer to stay busy, a choice of optional excursions, including a visit to a wine cellar, is available. While cruising to St. Jean de Losne, enjoy an onboard CHEESE TASTING. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
St. Jean de Losne (Disembarkation)
Your vacation ends with breakfast this morning. (Breakfast)
Call (301) 924-7225 for more information or to book today! Mention code 13761935
- Cruise Line
- Avalon Waterways
- Offer valid through 3/31/2018
- 8 Days
- Cruise Ship
- Poetry II
Click for more information on this ship.
|Day 7||ST. JEAN DE LOSNE|
|Day 8||ST. JEAN DE LOSNE|
Gratuities to Local Guides & excursion drivers are included.
Please call for single accommodation price. Triples not available.
Extra nights not available.
Prices shown above include cruise in Category E in a deluxe outside stateroom on Indigo Deck.
To upgrade to a higher category, add per person:
Category / Decks / Price
D / Indigo / Deck / $199
B / Sapphire Deck / 1,149
A / Sapphire Deck / $1,199
P / Royal Deck / $1,299
Royal Suite / Royal Deck / $1,999
- Departure June 30 is offered as an exclusive Jazz Cruise, including special music features at no additional cost. On our Jazz Cruise, attend the annual Jazz Festival in Vienne, France, and enjoy lively entertainment as local jazz musicians come on board your ship at several ports.
- Departures July 28 & October 20 are offered as exclusive Wine Appreciation Cruises, including special lectures and tastings at no additional cost. Your palate will applaud as you learn what to look for in a good wine. A distinguished wine authority will teach you the ropes as you visit a wine village and attend tastings to test your newfound talent.
Prices shown are "starting at" prices and do not include airfare.
Travel Terms & Conditions
The purchase of any travel services offered by Avalon Waterways, constitutes a contractual arrangement between you (the Traveler) and Avalon Waterways, and represents your acceptance of the Terms & Conditions. Please ensure that you read carefully and understand the Terms & Conditions prior to booking. These Terms & Conditions cover Deposit & Final Payment information, Air-Inclusive Deposits & Final Payment, Revisions & Revision Fees, Air Arrangements, Participation, Travelers Who Need Special Assistance, Young Travelers, Smoking, Price Policy, Visas and Passports, Hotels & Accommodations, Baggage Allowance, Travel Documents, Not Included in the Land Price, Refunds, Service Inquires After the Vacation, Holidays, Safety, Photos & Pictures, Optional Excursions, and Responsibility.
View full Terms & Conditions
- Vacation departures, itineraries and prices are subject to change.
- A non-refundable, non-transferable deposit is required for Avalon Waterways to reserve space for you. View Terms & Conditions for limited exceptions.
- The following charges are not included in the land/cruise vacation price unless otherwise noted: airfare to and from the start of your vacation; intra-vacation air, unless specified in the itinerary; airline baggage fees including checked and/or excess baggage fees; Federal inspection fees for the Federal U.S. Customs and Immigrations; International Air Transportation tax; agricultural tax; other per person taxes imposed by government entities; airport taxes and fees, including the September 11th Security fee up to $11.20 per person, passenger facility charges up to $18 per person, Federal domestic flight segment fees up to $4.10 per segment, and U.S. and international arrival and departure and other government-imposed added by the airline and applicable at time of booking; port taxes; passports; visas and vaccinations; tips to your Cruise Director, Local Host, driver, Local Guides, and/or ship's crew; gratuities on ferries, trains, and cruise ships; laundry; telephone; minibar; alcohol, beverages, and food outside of the contracted Avalon menu as presented at a hotel or restaurant or onboard your vessel (these extra items will be billed to you before leaving the hotel, ship, or restaurant); airport transfers on non-qualifying flights; optional excursions; additional activities and excursions purchased online; porterage at airports and train stations; Travel Protection; and all other items of a personal nature.
- Additional airline-imposed fees for seat assignments may apply and are not included in your total package cost. Please refer to carrier websites for seat assignment policies and applicable pricing.
Booking your Vacation with Air
Our volume buying power saves you money. We may be able to provide you with flight arrangements from your gateway city. Avalon Waterways offers 2 air options: Flex Air and Instant Purchase Air. Early Airfare Price Guarantee locks in a price that is guaranteed not to increase. Air pricing and schedules are available approximately 330 days prior to last travel date in the itinerary. At that time the best air price will be utilized and a new invoice with the air cost and confirmed schedule will be sent. The identity of the carrier, which may include the carrier's codeshare partner, will be assigned and disclosed at this time. If the guaranteed price is the lowest, the schedule with the lowest fare per contracted classes of service will be booked. Any voluntary change to the confirmed flights negates the guaranteed price and is subject to air pricing at the time of the change.
Guaranteed air-inclusive prices - air is only available to passengers traveling from the United States and only available when booked in conjunction with a land vacation. An additional non-refundable air deposit of $300 per person is required for Flex Air booked in conjunction with any land vacation (i.e. air-inclusive vacation). Air can only be booked by Avalon in conjunction with a vacation package. Instant Purchase Air requires air payment in full at time of booking (i.e. air-inclusive vacation) plus a non-refundable per person service fee of $30 (North/Central America), $50 (Europe/Middle East) or $80 (all other international destinations). Once booked, Instant Purchase Air is non-refundable, and non-changeable. Some vacations may only offer one Air type option. However, once your airfare is confirmed and Avalon has received your full air and land deposit, your air-inclusive vacation price is guaranteed.
Air-Inclusive Vacations - Applicable Taxes & Fees
Air-inclusive vacations include government-imposed taxes and fees applicable at the time of booking and will be shown as a Total Amount. Additional airline fees for baggage may apply. At the time of booking your air-inclusive vacation online, carrier Websites will be provided to check baggage fees, or you can visit www.iflybags.com for up-to-date baggage pricing/restrictions. For return travel from some countries, international travelers are required to pay entry and/or exit fees at the airport. These fees will be collected by the local government and are payable by the traveler at time of travel. Your confirmation booking information will contain information about these fees.